A short timeline
The Einstein Institute was formed in 1925, at the time of the founding of the Hebrew University. Its faculty initially included Abraham Fraenkel, Michael Fekete, and for a time also Edmund Landau. Later faculty were recruited both from abroad and, increasingly, local talent.
The Israel Journal of Mathematics was founded in 1963 as a continuation of the Bulletin of the Research Council of Israel (Section F). It is published by Magnes, the Hebrew University Press.
The division for compuer science was formed in 1969 within the Einstein Institute. In 1992, the division grew into the Institute for Computer Science, today part of the Benin School of Computer Science and Engineering.
The Institute also maintains close connections with the Center for Rationality, an interdisciplinary institute connection mathematicians, economists, psychologists, brain scientists and more. Much of the institute's activity in the areas of game theory and economics take place here.
Mount Scopus (1928-1948): Philip Wattenburg Building
The building was erected in 1927-1928 with a gift from Philip Wattenburg of New York. It housed the Einstein Institute of Mathematics until the Hebrew University lost access to Mount Scopus in 1948. After the reunification of Jerusalem in 1967, and the university's subsequent return to Mount Scopus, this building became part of the Estelle & Eugene Ferkauf Science Teaching Centre. In 1982 all science teaching was centralized on the Giv'at-Ram campus. This building was then remodelled with the aid of a gift from the estate of Ceil & Joseph Mazer to house part of the Institute of Contemporary Jewry.
Mr. Benjamin Chaikin, a Jerusalem-based architect, planned the building to house the institute, with Sir Frank Charles Mears. Mears also designed the decorative stone pattern for the main entrance and windows. The pattern above the inscription represents the Pythagorean theorem. The building was completed in October 1928. The interiour contained two lecture halls, a library and a lecturer's office. The Institute's inauguration ceremony was held on Oct. 31st, 1928. The building housed the Einstein Institute of Mathematics, until the war of independence (1948).
Additional readings: The planning and building of the Hebrew University, 1919-1948 : Facing the Temple Mount, pages 67-69 / Diana Dolev 2016.
Our current building : Manchester House, Edmond J. Safra campus
Since 1958/9, the Einstein Institute of Mathematics is located in the Manchester House, in the Edmond J. Safra Campus.
This building was erected through the generosity of the Manchester Jewish community. The building and its library were built in 1957 and its architects were Heinz Rau and David Reznik (They also designed the Israel Goldstein Synagogue in the Edmond J. Safra Campus). Heinz Rau also designed the synagogue and original classroom and administrative buildings of the Jerusalem Campus of the Hebrew Union College - Jewish Institute of Religion in 1963. David Reznik taught at the Bezalel Academy of Art and Design in Jerusalem and was actively involved in the shaping of Jerusalem's skyline as we know it today. He was one of the designers of the Hebrew University's Mount Scopus campus and was the recipient of the 1995 Israel Prize of Architecture and the Teddy Kollek Life Achievement Award for 2004.
Since 2014, some faculty and student offices are located in the Ross building. Prior to this the Ross building served the computer science department.